Sunday, September 6, 2015

2D/3D HW2: UVs and ZBrush

Here is my submission for HW2.

This is a picture of my UVs. I've laid out UVs before so this tutorial wasn't too hard to follow. It helped me with laying them out and making sure the squares were relatively the same size.



Next, I put down more edge loops around the model to make it hold its edges in Maya. Here are four pictures of the "hi-rez" mesh in Maya.


After that, I put the .obj in ZBrush and started sculpting on it. I had a lot of trouble trying to get the "Reconstruct Subdivision" tool to work on my model. Apparently, ZBrush doesn't like triangles, and I could not for the life of me get my model to the base mesh. So instead of having the lowest polygon mesh as my "Subdiv level 1", my "Subdiv level 1" was stuck as Maya's level 2 subdivision button, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I continued and came out with this BPR Render picture.


Here is the decimated version of the cannon. It's not too much different from the BPR Render pass, but the amount of polygons are. From the BPR pass, it went from 6 million polys to 750,001 polys.

I learned a lot through this lesson. I had a bit of trouble with getting the subdivision levels to work in ZBrush. I hope that doesn't interfere with the next part of the project. ZBrush has a steep learning curve, but I think that with practice, I'll get used to it.


1 comment:

  1. Looks good but turn on perspective in Zbrush when rendering or taking screen shots! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete