Saturday, September 12, 2015

2D/3D HW3: Holy Normal Maps, Batman!

This is my submission for HW 3.
This time around, I needed to make normal maps for the low-res cannon. I took the .obj of the decimated Zbrush cannon model into Maya and made a normal map out of that. This took me 3 tries to even get it decently right. The first time was horrible. The second time, I did the normal map on the wrong mesh! (I used the second Maya model with the extra edge loops). The third time took me a while too but I came out with one semi-presentable.

Normal Map
Cannon with normal map on it.

Afterward, I needed to make an ambient occlusion map. This was not nearly as difficult as making the normal map.


Next is the position/ramp map. Not too bad. The gradient shows up really well on the model.

And lastly is the coloring the model in Mudbox. This part was fun. This is the final result.

There is a gradient on it I swear! It's a little different in Maya, whereas the gradient in Mudbox is more apparent.





1 comment:

  1. Looking good. I would just work on colors, make sure the color harmonies work well. Add some mid size details to the sculpture and to the color pass. Make each part separate from one another color and value wise.

    ReplyDelete